Thursday 23 February 2012

Weekly activities

I thought I'd share a few of the things I've been up to this week. With Winterlude ending this past weekend, we've been looking into some other Ottawa activities to keep us busy after work hours.

On Wednesday some co-op students headed to Absolute Comedy for a Pro-Am night. A couple of locals took the stage but what I couldn't wrap my head around (for any fellow childhood Discovery Kids watchers) was that the MC was the crazy "Mr. Gross" from Edible Incredible, a show I used to watch where kids race in some ridiculous cooking challenges. Turns out Mr. Gross is really Mike Paterson, one of Montreal's most popular comedians from Just for Laughs. The headliner was Nathan Macintosh who has won a Canadian Comedy Award and is now living in New York. I had never been to a comedy show before and it was definitely a lot of fun!

Now that the ice sliding is no longer available for lunch breaks, we took up another adventure in going to see an Imax movie. There is a theatre in the Museum of Civilization which is right down the street from the Environment Canada building. The show playing was "Flying Monsters" - it's been a while since I've seen a 3D Imax and I don't think they could ever not impress. It was about pterosaurs, the first reptiles with powered flight. Definitely another good way to spend a lunch break - I can't wait to check out the Space Station one next!

Thursday nights are also great because students can get free access to most museums and the Art Gallery. Tonight we went to the National Gallery of Canada which is a massive glass building. I'd like to check it out in the daylight when the sun is shining through!




By the time we got there after work it was about 6 and it closed at 8 so we walked around for 2 hours checking out the paintings, photographs and sculptures.

With the spider outside the Gallery


No comments:

Post a Comment