Monday 23 April 2012

Spring!

On my last Thursday we went to the final museum I had not yet visited - the Museum of Civilization. It's 5 minutes from our work building, and I had been there for IMAX movies and to meet Jane Goodall but hadn't seen the actual exhibits yet.

It was a beautiful day and was starting to feel like Spring - hundreds of the Ottawa tulips were ready to bloom and trees were no longer bare. The five minute walk turned out to be quite a bit longer as we admired all of the lovely Spring sightings in Gatineau Park!





The entrance of the Museum is filled with totem poles which are really cool to get a close look at. 


This Kayang pole stood in a village in the late 1880s.



There were some cool exhibits at the Museum like toys that children used hundreds of years ago, dugout canoes and weapons used by First Nations, and life sized models of 19th century homes. This photo is a replica of a parlour from 1885.


It was fun for me to see an exhibit about welcoming the Royals in 1939 because this past summer I was in Ottawa for Canada Day and also got to experience welcoming the Royals to the Capital, when newlyweds Will and Kate arrived. The streets were packed and I had to climb a tree across from Parliament to see!


My view from the tree.
Will and Kate outside of Parliament.


No comments:

Post a Comment